Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Preview button

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby jennyjeffreys » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:34 am

I have been using JEvents for 3 years and never realized there was a preview option, which would allow you to view a recently posted entry online with a single click from the editing panel– without having to search for the entry via the front-end calendar, searching for month, day etc.

But when I was editing an entry today, I inadvertently clicked something, which opened up a new browser tab showing my calendar entry online. But I can’t for the life of me, work out what I clicked!

I have tested all buttons in the editor panel, including one called preview with a magnifying glass, but that doesn’t appear to do anything apart from make all the other buttons inaccessible!

Is there a preview option that works because this would save me literally hours? I have to notify clients when I have posted their events with a link to the site, and it can take quite a long time to find them each time.
jennyjeffreys

Postby Geraint » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 am

Perhaps it was the manage events menu item type?

Or did you select the 'show my events=yes' drop down in the admin panel underneath the main Jevents compontne page.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby jennyjeffreys » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid I don't understand either of the options you mention.

I was just opening a calendar entry in the backend, and clicked something as it was opening, which led to a new browser window being created with the front-end version of the calendar entry. I assumed I had hit some kind of preview button which is a great, time-saving, function to have, but can't find it now. I thought the page icon with magnifying glass was perhaps it, but when I click on that it doesn't appear to do anything apart from disable all the other icons (they appear knocked back).

Is there an option that allows you do a one-click preview of your entry online?

I can't see the "show my events=yes" drop down - which is the main Jevents component page, do you mean the editing page?

Thanks again for all your help - I was really excited when the preview suddenly appeared, I can't believe that I can't repeat the process again!
jennyjeffreys

Postby Tonyp » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 pm

So rather than a preview would a view in front end button work? I.e. after you have created the event you have a link to view it in the front end?

Regards
Tony
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby jennyjeffreys » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 pm

"View in front end" is exactly what I want (better than preview), but where is the button? All I can see is the View Site button in Joomla, and that always takes you to the home page.
jennyjeffreys

Postby Tonyp » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Hello,

I suspect we could implement this fairly easily if a Silver Club Member requested it.

But I will have to check with Geraint.

Regards
Tony
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby jennyjeffreys » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:30 pm

I was a Silver Club Member for a while, but I don't do much development work now so it has lapsed. I spend most of my time posting events and sending the links to clients - so a quick "View in Front End" button immediately after posting would literally save me hours. I'm surprised nobody else has requested it as it would be a great feature to enable you to quickly check what you have posted online.

Is there any chance I can request the functionality retrospectively?!

It's a bit weird that I obviously managed to click on something that enabled me to view my event immediately online, if the functionality is not already there...
jennyjeffreys

Postby Geraint » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:48 am

In the frontend if you are allowed to publish the event you see it immediately - it you can't publish when you can switch the 'show unpublished' events to yes and then view it from there.

I guess we could redirect all newly created events to the event detail view BUT with a big/bold message to tell the creator if it has not yet been published.

What do you think of that idea - it may appeal to many users.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby jennyjeffreys » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:58 pm

In my case, I am really only interested in viewing events as soon as they have been created and published - to check them quickly (which I imagine others would be interested in) and to copy the published links to clients.

So for me, the ideal would be to create an event and save it - then have a button/link (in the screen that lists all events) that you can click on just for that event that will allow you to view it directly in the front end (rather than having to find it by going to home page, clicking on calendar, then month etc).

OR (perhaps better), the button could be in the editing screen, and could only be active if the event has been saved and therefore in the published state.

Does that seem reasonable?
jennyjeffreys

Postby Geraint » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 am

The {EDITLINK} gives you a direct link to the event editing page for that specific event.
Geraint

Next

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)