Pre-Sales

getting started

Feel free to ask questions you might have before purchasing a subscription in here.

Postby demeure » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi.

I've just downloaded and unzipped
com_jevents_2.2.8.zip

but don't know where to start now.

I want to run an events calendar on a subdomain of an existing site - am i right in thinking i have downloaded a version that can exist without being part of something else - ie joomla ?

where do i find installation instructions - i am new to php (though not to website progaramming)- can i run a demo on my own computer ?

can i upload this to my websserver and get started from there?

sorry for the newbie questions - can anyone give me some guidance ?
demeure

Postby Tonyp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Hello,

JEvents is built on Joomla! so you need the Joomla! Framework for it to work.

Are you trying to use it without Joomla!?

Regards
Tony
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby demeure » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:54 pm

hi, yes - i misunderstood. i was looking for a standalone events calander and thought i'd found it here. i'd seen joomla mentioned but wasn't clear if you had another version of jevents that was some kind of plugin for joomla.

i'm completely unfamiliar with joomla - more of an asp.net guy. what do you think the learning curve would be like between here and having a simple events calendar only website up and running ?
demeure

Postby Tonyp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Hello,

Joomla is well all relative. To me I can have a simple website with the events calendar all very basic and setup in an hour. But that's because I know it...

Joomla! isn't to hard, but it all depends how your mind-flow logic is worked.

Few key aspects:

1. Extensions are additions to Joomla!
1.1 Components, and things like JEvents big additions
1.2 Plugins, these normally interact with a component and allow overriding/intersecting code.
1.3 Module, this are little bits of a component etc shown on the home page.(There are admin ones, but we wont go in to that).

If you install Joomla! you can then simply login to the admin area and install the JEvents you downloaded. Although I would suggest 3.0.7 as this is a package install for easy of us.

Once installed, create a Menu Item in the Main Menu, and select type = JEvents Monthly for a nice month view.

Regards
Tony
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby demeure » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:35 pm

thanks for your input tony - i'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

cheers
demeure

Postby demeure » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:39 pm

i know it's off topic a bit but could you clarify what version of joomla you recommend i download and then which version of jevents

thanks again
demeure

Postby Tonyp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 am

Hello,

Either 2.5 or 3.0 Joomla.

Note 3.0 is a short term release and 3.5 will be the next long term release. So if you go with 3.0 you will need to upgrade it regularly. Which is simple via the built in upgrade utility.

For JEvents use 3.0.7

Thanks
Tony

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby demeure » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks again for all your help.
demeure

Return to Pre-Sales