Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

How to build menu items direct to event  Topic is solved

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby mitchie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 am

Hello,
yes, Jevents SEO is enabled.

We should agree on "event" meaning first of all. If we have a theater show called "my show" with 20 repetition, which is the "event"? From my point of view the event is "my show". With a good database normalization I should enter my show's name, actors name, category, calendar and so on in a event table, and repetition venue date and time in a repetition_venue_date_time table.
"Event details" menu item type should then points to event.ev_id, "Event repetition" menu item type should be date_range pointing to repetition_venue_date_time.ev_id,event_date and "Event date" should point to repetition_venue_date_time.ev_id,record_id single record. "ev_id" should be the main key to "join" all database tables.
Don't get me wrong, this is not a criticism, just sharing my point of view.
mitchie

Postby Tonyp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 pm

So what about the scenario of when someone else wants an event detail view of just 1 repetition?
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby mitchie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:20 pm

If I understand your question, following my point of view:
Pointing a new menu item type, repetition type (Event Date), to the event repetition single record:
index.php?option=com_jevents&re_id={repetitionid}

repetition table must have:
re_id int (repetition and record id)
ev_id int (event id)

event table must have:
ev_id int

query:
select * from repetition as r join event as e on r.ev_id = e.ev_id where r.re_id = {repetitionid}

You can show event details (title, actors and so on) and/or repetition details (venue, date, time).
mitchie

Postby mitchie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Please,
any hint to fix the event details menu link with seo enabled?
mitchie

Postby Tonyp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Can you place the direct event detail link to the base of your menu structure does it work there?
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby mitchie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 pm

No, it doesn't work, even as main menu base item.
mitchie

Postby Tonyp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Can you please pm me admin login details to test?

Regards
Tony

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby mitchie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Sent pm
mitchie

Postby Geraint » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 am

I've not seen the site but I can explain a little of the background to the code.

When you create a repeating event - and then customise one of these repeats it creates a new 'repeat detail'. In general if you then re-edit the main event and CHANGE the dates/times or repeat patterns we cannot be certain we can match up the new repeats to the old repeats. This is why we give the warning message about loosing repeat exceptions and that a new set of repeats are going to be written. Because of the 'general' nature of the code this also happens when you wave a non-repeating event.

Is your scenario that you have a non-repeating event with a menu item pointing to it and that you are then editing the date/time of this event and that the menu item no-longer seems to match up?
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby mitchie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 am

Hello Geraint,
Thanks for your explain.
I understand very well the background of Jevents. If you designed the code like this you have your reasons. I would have done in another way, to let user have access/edit to each single repetition. In a theatre scenario you could need to edit just 1 repetition (for example for weather condition). In this case you don't need to edit all repetition and for users could be much easier to edit just one event instead to re-enter all event repetition data. Better, in this case user can edit the repetition to highlights canceled (or postponed) the repetition. It could allows to list each repetition in the data-range events list. It even could allows users to add more than 1 repetition for each day (sometimes theatre have 2 repetition in 1 day) or have different (not regular) intervals. But it is just to share an idea.

Yes, my scenario is a non-repeating event with a menu link pointing to it. Sometimes I need to edit the date/time and in this case it breaks the menu link.

However, with Jevents v3.0.2 I cannot use SEO anymore because Jevents doesn't works at all (even without edit the event). It just show the events list for the current date... and not the event details.

Now, the very first need I have is to let Jevents v3.0.2 work like v2.2 (at least). Then should be great to don't loose the link when I need to edit the event.

Thanks in advance.
mitchie

PreviousNext

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)