JEvents 3.1 (Free Access)

Installation fails with server error

Forum for JEvents 3.1 for Joomla 3.x and 2.5.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby Tonyp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Hello,

First of all, have you install the JEvents Language packs? These control the output time format.

Also, then when you switch in the front end of Joomla! JEvents will be changed also as our language packs are used by Joomla!.

If your menu disappears when you go to the events page then you need to set your menu to appear on all pages not just those selected.

Regards
tony

Regards
Tony
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby marque1968 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Language packs? Could you please point me to them? I only see translationpacks for the older versions but no translationpack or languagepack for version 3.0 on your downloadpage, as far as I can see.

Regarding the menu : Big oops. (but in my own defence, I did mention I hadn't looked into it yet and indeed, I created a new "Events" page, to replace the current "Diary" page and didn't link it to the correct language menu yet)
marque1968

Postby Tonyp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Language packs are Translation Packs.

http://www.jevents.net/downloads/catego ... anslations

You can use Joomla! 2.5 versions for 3.0

Regards
Tony
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby marque1968 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:55 am

Cheers, this did work, and as a result I also realised that I should set the component date to the languagefile, and then I could leave entering the date to Ymd. How I enter the date doesn't matter that much to me.

Now perhaps a Joomla 101 question:
Is there a way to have multi lingual texts? As the event information I supply is only about the location, I luckily do not need to double most info. However, sometimes a show is sold out. Then I want to have "[ UITVERKOCHT! ]" in the Dutch (main) language to show, but to have "[ SOLD OUT! ]" in the English (alternative) language. Is there a way to do so?
marque1968

Postby Tonyp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 am

Hello Marque,

Glad to hear.

Yes there is by using Joomfish, it's another component by another developer. Just google it :).

Regards
Tony

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby marque1968 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:22 pm

... of which there is no Joomla 3.0 version.

I was thinking of using some CSS hack to change text or even an image, but I see no way of adding a CSS div to the "extra info" box.
marque1968

Postby Tonyp » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Have you tried putting a div in the box it's self?

Regards
Tony

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby marque1968 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:57 am

I solved it by hacking the source a bit. I added a function in Downloadedfromtemplate.php to automatically translate the most used frases ("Sold out", "Doors open", "Tel.", etc). For all other texts, I added the {text-en}..{/text-en} and {text-nl}..{/text-nl} pairs. This function is called on nearly each "Replace" assignment. Only thing that I still have to trace is the assignment of the HTML->HEAD page-title, which now shows "35{text-nl}e{/text-nl}{text-en}th{/text-en} Country Festival" in stead of the converted text. With these hacks it looks like I found a good tool in jEvents.

Even though they are simple php-hacks, let me know if you would like to receive my hacks.
marque1968

Postby Geraint » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 am

In JEvents 3.0 you can create different layouts for each language - so you could have language specific labels etc without the need to hack the code
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby marque1968 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:14 am

I found I needed a bit more than that.

Some of the things I came accross included "Sold Out: Therefor an extra matinee performace will be held on the 24th". I don't see this happening with just generic labels.

And I'm just setting up their site, and will not be maintaining it, certainly not regarding content, thus it must be something I can teach them to do easily. {text-??} seemed the best solution.

Everyting else on the site is just content and they just have to enter either an English article to the English catagories or a Dutch article to any of the Dutch categories. For now, this is the only thing they enter once for both languages.
marque1968

Previous

Return to JEvents 3.1 (Free Access)