Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Pre Sales Question

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby cindymoore » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm

My client needs a calendar that has the following features;

1. User can create personal calendar
2. Calendars displayed by specific category
3. Calendar exports/syncs to outlook or google
4. Quick icons toolbar to allow quick creation of about a half dozen simple tasks (similar to the way Smilies are added to this post)

I feel confident that your product can easily do 1 - 3.
#4 requires the addition of a toolbar at the top with icons or right side that allows drag and drop or click -to-add functionality.Like with the image here:
Image.

Is this possible out of the box? If not, can it be achieved by customization? If it can be achieved through customization would you be willing to provide the customization for a price?
cindymoore

Postby Geraint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:52 am

I will in my answer assume the icons represent different categories of events.

Dragging and dropping the icons will not be easy but we can possibly do something similar. In the month calendar we have a '+' icon on each day to add an event - this could be customised/changed to display a dropdown showing your different icons. Would that be acceptable?
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby cindymoore » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Yes, that would be acceptable, in fact, I rather like that idea.
cindymoore

Postby Geraint » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:13 pm

I would suggest you download and experiment with JEvents.

For personal calendar support you need the silver member addon (user specific events) and the club layouts (http://www.jevents.net/products/club-layoutsthemes) may be of interest too.

Then follow up in the silver member forum about the customisations - the category specific icons I can help you with in the club member forum.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby cindymoore » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Yes, we actually intend on purchasing the Gold Level. I made an error though, the icons don't represent a category, they represent a task (for example a garbage can icon for taking out the trash). They will still need to be able to select a category for that task.Do you see that being an issue?
cindymoore

Postby Geraint » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 am

Would the icons be tags or calendars? i.e. in data terms how would we distinguish between these 'types' of event.
Geraint

Postby cindymoore » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm so sorry for my ignorance here. I think that they will be tags if a "calendar" is a category.
If it is easier for you, you could place the icons on the "Edit Event" popup page that would allow the user to click on the icon and it would add the icon to the calendar. It is important to my client that the icon is visible on each cell once the event is created. The icon could have pre-filled information written into the title field so that once the icon is clicked the field is filled in. Then if they want to add other info they can.
cindymoore

Postby Geraint » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 am

In JEvents you can place events into calendars and can also import calendars from external sources e.g. google calendar. Also you can specify one or multiple categories - these are 2 different dimensions for "categorising" events.

In addition there are club addons to set tags or add custom fields to events.

Can I suggest you play with JEvents a little so you can see what I mean and then we should be on the same wavelength.

thanks

Geraint
Geraint

Postby cindymoore » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:13 pm

I have downloaded the component and am more familiar now. When I click on the "+" to add an event the popup window asks me to "Choose a Color". This is where I'd I'd like the task icons.
The process would be:
1. Click on +
2. Select an icon
3. Since a task icon was selected the Title auto-fills in with task title and the choose a color option is disabled
cindymoore

Postby Geraint » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 pm

The colours have a specific purpose (and not easily changed into icons) - I think we'd be better off with a custom field but we can address that when we get to the customisation.
Geraint

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)