Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Pre-Sales Question: JEvents as Appointment and Class System

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby larpo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi,

I am looking to achieve the following. Grateful if you can confirm if it is possible.

I use Jomsocial for a site dedicated to private and class tuition in languages. I have two client profiletypes: learners and teachers. Teachers can teach classes groups, or individuals in private tuition. I want a class registration and appointment booking system whereby teachers can:

1. Advertise classes either publicly or to groups, set a number of seats per class, receive requests to join classes, review and approve attendees, and take payment online. Set class work and review (perhaps like the agenda/minute system). Send reminders.
2. Display their personal availability to offer private tuition based on hour and half hour slots in a week calendar view. Allow users to request appointments in available slots. Review and accept or decline requests for appointments. Set homework and send reminders.

I want learners/students to be able to:

1. Find and book private tuition. Find teachers in categories in their local area (i.e. Spanish teacher in London near Waterloo), see available slots. Connect to the teacher via Jomsocial (mostly to allow a bit of vetting and exchange before agreement to classes) and request slots from the teacher's availability. Pay online. Receive homework tasking and reminders.
2. Find and book on to classes in their local area. Search and filter for classes in a local area (i.e. small group class in Spanish in London near waterloo), apply to be accepted into the class. Pay online and recieve homework tasking and reminders.

Very grateful if you can confirm if this is possible with existing components plugins and modules, or whether it is possible with redevelopment and what the likely costs would be for that.

Also grateful for any info you have on mobile (iphone and android) app integration

Many thanks
larpo

Postby Geraint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Quite a lot of what you want can be done but there are some missing features and some customisation needed.

Teachers :
1. Can create events with registration - with attendee limits, registration pending approval and taking payments (though at present you would need to make the payment prior to being approved - no one has asked for approval prior to payment. It should be possible to make that change as a configurable option). Access/visibility would be driven by Joomla user groups NOT JomSocial groups. And in general the interaction with JomSocial would be limited to profiles and communication and would not use the JomSocial events system.

Class work could be set via agenda/minutes or as file uploads. It should be possible to make visibility of specific custom fields contingent on being a paid up attendee. Reminders can also be set. Note that submitting work for review specific to an attendee could be done but will require a new custom field type (modest customisation cost).

2. personal availability could be shown but will require writing a custom script to generate the entries. BUT I'm no sure abuot the request/review/accept system - if this could be a simple message in JomSocial it would straightforward but a workflow system would be a lot more complex to implement.

Learners
1. We could probably set up the teachers as 'managed people' inside JEvents and these are localisable so we could setup a local search by type and category and link to their calendars.

Requesting slots is open for discussion.

2. Finding an booking classes can be done.

A couple of third party developers have written mobile apps for JEvents but for your scenario I think a template and layout suited to small screens would be the way to go.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby larpo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Excellent and thorough answer, many thanks. Could you please point me towards add ons and configuration I would need to achieve to be able to do everything outlined above (obviously short of the custom scripting). I will get everything configured as closely as possible and then perhaps we can talk about the custom work.

Many thanks for the excellent and fast response.
larpo

Postby Geraint » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 am

You will need a gold membership to access RSVP Pro (demo videos available at the bottom of this page http://www.jevents.net/jevents-club/demo-videos) - this and the Jomsocial and managed people addons are available from http://www.jevents.net/downloads
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)