Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Advice sought on multiple categories

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby bertha73 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:20 am

I have two main front-end calendars. For the sake of simplicity here, one carries internal categories and the other external categories. People who can add internal category events need to have the option of adding them to an external category too, but the internal calendar shouldn't contain any external category events, because that a) defeats the purpose of having two separate calendars and b) clogs up the internal calendar with external events, which annoys users. I need a separate external calendar because external users need to be allowed to add events but not using an internal category.

So, how do I allow internal users to add events to both internal and external categories from just the internal calendar?

Confused...

Iwan
bertha73

Postby bertha73 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 am

It's ok - I was being dense - resolved it by adding a "Create events" menu item, rather than having users add via the front-end calendars themselves.
bertha73

Postby Geraint » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:31 am

Have 2 menu items and constrain them so that one shows internal events and the other the external events.

then set the permissions on your categories to control who can events to which

Finally make sure you enable multi-category events in JEvents config.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby bertha73 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:36 am

I'd got that, the problem was, because I didn't want to show external events in the internal calendar, the external categories that internal users should have been able to use weren't available in the Add event dialog on the internal calendar, despite the users having permission to use the external categories.

I've got around it by adding a generic Create events menu item that isn't linked to a specific front-end calendar, so it provides access to all categories to which each user has access, rather than using the Add events link for a specific front-end calendar, which is limited to those categories displayed in the calendar.

Thanks,

Iwan
bertha73

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)