Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Extension Manager Update: extension.xml not found

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby GJSchaller » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 pm

I run multiple sites in Joomla 2.5, and use the Extensions Manager - Update feature on them (which is very nice to have, I will admit!).

On two of the sites I run, when I purge the cache and run the updater, I get the following error:

Code: Select all
Update: :Extension: Could not open /extension.xml

The only thing these two sites have in common is that they have JEvents, and several modules for it, installed. The other sites that do not have JEvents, but share other, common extensions, do not have this issue.

Is there any way of confirming what extension is causing this issue? I very strongly suspect it's JEvents, but want to be sure, and if so, correct it.

Thank you!
GJSchaller

Postby Geraint » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Jevents doesn't provide an XML file link in the manifest.xml file's updateservers section so its not likely to be JEvents
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby GJSchaller » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:12 pm

That narrows it down, even if it's by elimination. Now, to figure out which extension is *is*...

Thank you!
GJSchaller

Postby Tonyp » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Try turning on maximum error reporting before running the merge in Joomlas! config and run it again, you might get a more detailed error.

Regards
Tony
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby GJSchaller » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Sadly, no dice.

However, it's a matter of logic at this point. There's only a handful of things installed on *both* websites, so if it's not JEvents, it's something else they have in common. I have a dev copy of one of the sites, so I can eliminate the one by one to figure out what it is.
GJSchaller

Postby Tonyp » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I would try running a permissions fix next, as if it cannot open it suggests as though it is their but without rights.

You might want to check your apcahe/php error log after running the purge too.
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby LukeDouglas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 pm

This must be an issue with JEvents. I was having this problem and, even with debug on, I could not isolate the problem. So I removed the entire Joomla installation, removed the folder and all subfolders, ensured that the MySQL database had been deleted as it had.

I went step by step to try and isolate the offending applications.

Here are the steps:

Installed New Joomla 2.5.4
Ran Update - No problems
Upgraded Joomla 2.5.4 to 2.5.6
Ran Update - No problems
Installed Akeeba Admin Tools
Ran Update - No problems
Installed Akeeba Backup
Ran Update - No problems
Installed JCE Editor
Ran Update - No problems
Installed JCE Media Manager
Ran Update - No problems
Installed JCE Plugins
Ran Update - No problems
Installed JEvents v2.2.3
Uninstalled JEvents v2.2.3
Ran Update - No problems
Installed JEvents v2.2.5

Now explain to me how JEvents could NOT be the problem and why I got the update error only after installing JEvents?

So I followed the suggestion by GJSchaller, check the table "_update_sites" and there was a record with 'name' of 'Unknown Application'. I deleted it and now the update works fine.

However, now I do not have the JEvents in the '_update_sites' list so how can I get Joomla to check for an update? If I knew the JEvents.net update link, I could add it manually.
Last edited by LukeDouglas on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LukeDouglas

Postby GJSchaller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 pm

I figured it out in my case - there was an errant entry in my XXXX_update_sites table. When I looked at which extension was referring to it (by way of the updates_extensions table and referring ID), it turned out to be an old version of Kunena.

This was for me, however, and it may be a different cause for other sites.

Take a look at the following tables:

_update_categories
_update_sites
_update_sites_extensions

With a bit of logic, you can figure out which one is causing it, and remove the entry manually from the table if needed.
GJSchaller

Postby Geraint » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:44 am

Jevents currently doesn't have an automatic update mechanism. We will be implementing this in the upcoming JEvents 3.0
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby MrGreenhorn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi,
Is there an update about the automatic update mechanism? I just installed JEvents 3.0.2 - Now i get "unknown joomla" and "unknown extensions" in the control center and the joomla implemented update function ist corrupt.
MrGreenhorn

Next

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)