JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)

How to override JEvents component views

JEvents 2.0 was launched over 2 years ago and the latest stable version is version 2.2 which will run on Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5. JEvents 1.5 is therefore no longer actively supported - you should upgrade to JEvents 2.2+ as soon as possible.
Forum rules
Please include as much detail in any test or bug reports for JEvents 1.5 as possible.

First of all, check if you are running the latest available version of Joomla! and JEvents. Posts for issues, where both systems are not updated, will be ignored.

We need the following at least:

* PHP version (e.g. 5.2.5). Note: Support for PHP4 is discontinued.
* Joomla! version
* JEvents version
* Web Server software (Apache or IIS with version number if possible)
* Server Operating system (e.g. Linux, Windows, Solaris, Darwin ...)
* Database version
* memory_limit from your phpinfo
* Web browser and version

Please enable error reporting and include any error messages in your posting. You do this via the Joomla Configuration - set "error reporting" to "maximum" on the Server tab.

Finally, please describe the steps required to recreate the problem and also please enable error reporting and give us any error messages generated.

Postby dbessinger » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:02 pm

Hello! I'm using the following:

Joomla! 1.5.9
JEvents 1.5RC

Everything works nicely, but I'd like to override the default layout's day view. Several other posts give examples, but none have worked for me. The original view I'd like to override is here:

(Path 1) components/com_jevents/views/default/day/tmpl/listevents_body.php

I've duplicated the file I want to override here (this is generally how the other posts I've read here say to do it):

(Path 2) templates/[my_template]/html/com_jevents/day/listevents_body.php

The changes in my override file (the one in my templates directory) don't show up on the site. Most other components have this directory structure:

(Path 3) components/[component_name]/views/[view_name]/tmpl/[filename]

JEvents modifies this slightly by adding a directory for the layout name (the red "default" in path 1, above). I understand why this "extra" directory is here, but how does it affect the way Joomla! handles overrides for the JEvents component? What should Path 2 be for my override to work properly? Thanks much, and great component!
dbessinger

Postby dbessinger » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:34 pm

OK, I might have answered my own question. I suppose I should simply write my own layout by copying the default and modifying as necessary. Is this the proper way to modify views for JEvents? Also, will my custom layout be removed during a JEvents component upgrade? Thanks!
dbessinger

Postby Geraint » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:16 pm

Because JEvents has layouts and views you need to use a different naming convention for your template overrides.

Try :

templates/{your template}/html/com_jevents/{Layout name}{View name}/{filename}

e.g.

templates/ja_purity/html/com_jevents/ExtMonth/calendar_body.php

Note the capitalisation of Ext and Month
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby dbessinger » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:22 pm

Fantastic - that works very nicely. Thank you for the help!
dbessinger

Postby Geraint » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:05 am

After my post last night I had a brainwave and realised how I could do the template override in

templates/ja_purity/html/com_jevents/ext/month/calendar_body.php

This is less confusing and has the advantage of allowing layout specific stylesheet and image overrides e.g. templates/ja_purity/html/com_jevents/ext/assets/css/events_css.css or templates/ja_purity/html/com_jevents/ext/assets/images/icon.jpg

So I will be changing this today setup today

So please bear in mind that when you do your next upgrade you will need to rename your template override folder.

Geraint
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby dbessinger » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:59 pm

That's great - one of the few flaws I've found in the JEvents is ease of output customization. It sounds like your idea might also address my post from today in this thread. If so, sorry to make an extra post. Thanks for all of the help and your work in developing this component, and I look forward to the next release!
dbessinger

Postby bonesddrummer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 pm

I have implemented the override as above and it works. How can i now get that to work on one specific calender and not the rest ?
bonesddrummer

Postby Geraint » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 pm

See my other post for suggestions
Geraint

Postby bonesddrummer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:22 pm

I've got it now, can you tell me which file to overide so I can hide the + sign and add edit event function?
bonesddrummer

Postby Geraint » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Geraint

Return to JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)