Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Ical Import Problems

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby Geraint » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 am

Check the names of the timezone in your imported file - it doesn't look as though its using a standard timezone format.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby bryantw » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

So, the old version did not validate TZ info, and the new version does.

We have been importing a calendar with updates every day from Outlook 2007 for the past few years.

How do I ensure that the TZ format is correct?

Which format is correct?

Thanks for your assistance.

Bryant
bryantw

Postby bryantw » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:42 pm

This is an example of the TZ format from Outlook:

TZID="(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)"

This is used in every TZID through out the ics file.
bryantw

Postby Geraint » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:34 am

that is extremely unhelpful - in JEvents we assume that the timezones are an internationally standardised form (see http://php.net/manual/en/timezones.php).

Can you get Outlook to export in UTC date formats? I don't have Outlook myself so can't test this.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby bryantw » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Geraint,

Thanks for your help with this, unfortunately Microsoft does not like to adhere to any standards but their own. And I cannot find a way to change the output.

Did something change in 2.X that 1.5.5 supported? I have another site that I uploaded this calendar too, for testing purposes and it worked fine.

Any other ideas?
bryantw

Postby Geraint » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:21 am

The exporting from JEvents has changed but NOT the importing to JEvents - but if your old site was Joomla 1.5 and the new one Joomla 1.7 then this could be the problem.

If you can find a mapping database from Outlook/windows timezone names to the more standard Olson timezones then I'll happily incorporate this into the codebase. I have searched online and seen references to such databases but not been able to find one.
Geraint

Postby bryantw » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:37 pm

I'll start looking for the TZ mapping database, I appreciate you helping with this.

Both websites are still 1.5, my client has not agreed to the upgrades yet...

I upgraded one website to 2.0.10 and the other is still 1.5.5.
bryantw

Postby bryantw » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Outlook actually uses the TZ data from the version of OS its running on... I'm running windows 7.
bryantw

Postby bryantw » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:19 pm

I setup a test site running Joomla 1.5.24 and installed jevents 2.0.10.

I then used my latest ics file and again jevents 2.0.10 failed to import the test file, it stopped at the same point after 10 events -- same as my production server. I checked the error_log and it shows the same time zone error.

I then removed jevents 2.0.10 and installed jevents 1.5.5, then using the same ics file, I imported all the events into the site with no errors.

Something seems to have changed the import function in 2.0.x

Please let me know if there is anything I can do further to help.
bryantw

Postby Tonyp » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Have you set the Timezones within the Jevents configuration?

If so try leaving them blank and visversa.
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)