Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Scheduled iCal import

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby JohnnyBoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:17 am

I am creating a "webscraper" that finds events from a number of pages. I convert the resutlt from the "scraper" to iCal export/import format.

Is there a way that I can import the "webScraper-created iCal" file to Jevents?

What happends to the existing events in Jevents

Any solution for this?

(Another way of doing this is to directly update the Jevents database. Not nice and not a solution that has a future when Jevents is updated)
JohnnyBoy

Postby Geraint » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Create a new calendar in the backend of JEvents to load from a URL which is the output of your scraper script then setup a cronjob to keep it up to date.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby JohnnyBoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Sounds easy..

I have a Calender today that I have entered manually.

It has only a couple of events.

I try to find a way to export the events to a iCal file and place it in my site root. Then I will create a new Calender based on the file in my own site.

With this basic setup I think I can test the function of the Jevent iCal import of the iCal file

* How often will the Jevents component update the events from a recently FTP file? My intention now is just to automatic FTP the file to my site to the place i have configured in Jevents. Do I need something done on the webserver like schelule a cron job?

* How do I export the existing Jevents event to a file.
(My scraper creates 200+ events and I want first to know the basics of Jevents/iCal)
JohnnyBoy

Postby JohnnyBoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 pm

I think I am on track..

Got the ics file in place on my site and start to manipulate the ics file

It will be an interesting night :idea:

Still need ideas how to match UID from the ics file with my scraper data..

How will the ics file update the Calender? Just by replacing the file? Where is the update frequence configured?
JohnnyBoy

Postby Geraint » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:40 am

If the calendar is from a URL then you can setup a cronjob to do an anoymous update - see http://www.jevents.net/en/jevents-15-to ... -calendars
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)