JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)

Import events to jevents?  Topic is solved

JEvents 2.0 was launched over 2 years ago and the latest stable version is version 2.2 which will run on Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5. JEvents 1.5 is therefore no longer actively supported - you should upgrade to JEvents 2.2+ as soon as possible.
Forum rules
Please include as much detail in any test or bug reports for JEvents 1.5 as possible.

First of all, check if you are running the latest available version of Joomla! and JEvents. Posts for issues, where both systems are not updated, will be ignored.

We need the following at least:

* PHP version (e.g. 5.2.5). Note: Support for PHP4 is discontinued.
* Joomla! version
* JEvents version
* Web Server software (Apache or IIS with version number if possible)
* Server Operating system (e.g. Linux, Windows, Solaris, Darwin ...)
* Database version
* memory_limit from your phpinfo
* Web browser and version

Please enable error reporting and include any error messages in your posting. You do this via the Joomla Configuration - set "error reporting" to "maximum" on the Server tab.

Finally, please describe the steps required to recreate the problem and also please enable error reporting and give us any error messages generated.

Postby checkmate » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:14 am

Hi all

i have jevents 1.5.2

I was wondering within this package do we have option to import csv files to the database or do we have to manually add in all entries? as i cant seem to find import button
checkmate

Postby Geraint » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Upgrade to 1.5.3.

You can import iCal files into a calendar in the backend. You will need to convert your csv file to ical format. If you search online you'll find various tools that will help you do this (e.g. importing into Yahoo calendar and then exporting as ical)
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby andybon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Whilst it sounds like a great way to get the basics into JEvent, I think I'm right in saying the CSV > ical > JEvents process would strip out most of the event specific data used by add-ons (eg Locations, People, Custom Fields etc)....

I suspect this is would be a HUGE PROJECT and BIG ASK but would there be a way of developing a direct CSV import facility whereby if a CSV if created in line with a template, then the magic of JEvents would know what data to put where??? Coping with all the various add ons if they've been added on???

This would be so invaluable - In my case uploading numerous detailed sports fixtures and fitness classes. Doing them all 1 by 1 just isn't viable - and the iCal route would see the key data 'dumbed down' (I think!)

Is it technically possible?
andybon
Gold Members

Postby Geraint » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Its quite feasible but a lot of work (as you suspected).

I basically need to prioritise what club members want and I'm not completely sure of the level of demand.

Geraint
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby sonnenlanze » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:27 am

This is quite an old thread, but I really would like to know if there was any development in this direction since 2010?

I've been able to import >2700 events from CSV including custom fields for advanced filtering - now it would be just great if the "location" string could somehow find existing locations (what would the string need to look like? I could provide for example: country, postcode, city, street, name) and if no location is found, it should automatically create a new location (including lat/long by help of free geoDB lookup services), assuming the information is complete. If not, the location creation should be omitted and only the string given should be used (as it is now if you import from csv).
I know this ist a huge wish, but it's christmas, isn't it?
Happy holidays for everyone!
Vanessa
sonnenlanze

Postby Geraint » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:06 am

this has been implemented (thanks to a helpful JEvents user pgaryga for getting it started).

If you use the location in this EXACT format

Code: Select all
Location Name - Street, City, Country

then it will look for an exact match and it if doesn't find one it will create one and even try to use the google geo-coder to match the address
Geraint

Postby sonnenlanze » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:14 pm

*yay* :D Great!!! Thank you!
sonnenlanze

Return to JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)