Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Do event times auto-adjust for the viewing user's time zone?

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby bbillings » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I've tried searching both Google and the forums with no luck on this issue, just iCal related exporting which doesn't apply in my case. Here is my version information from the JEvents Control Panel:

Code: Select all
Joomla : 2.5.8
component_com_jevents : 2.2.8
module_mod_jevents_latest : 2.2.5

Is the time zone for the event stored somehow, or inherited from the Event Creator? I'd like for the calendar display and latest events module to reflect start times based on the viewing user's time zone and it doesn't seem to do this.

My site is hosted via SiteGround which is Chicago, IL based. I have configured Joomla to use the America/Chicago time zone, as well as JEvents Configuration on both the Component and ICal tabs (Even though I'm not doing exporting) with no changes to the event times even for new events. I have also tried clearing the cache in Joomla multiple times with no luck on seeing a change in the event start time and date.

The server is running PHP version 5.4.9 under Apache, and here is a listing of my currently installed and active plugins:

Code: Select all
Authentication - Joomla      
Authentication - p8pbb bridge
Captcha - ReCaptcha
Content - Load Modules
Content - Joomla
Content - Widgetkit
Content - Email Cloaking
Content - Pagebreak
Content - Page Navigation
Editor - CodeMirror
Editor - None
Editor - TinyMCE
Button - Modules Anywhere
Button - Sourcerer
Button - Article
Button - Image
Button - Pagebreak
Button - Readmore
Extension - Joomla
Smart Search - Categories
Smart Search - Contacts
Smart Search - Content
Smart Search - Newsfeeds
Smart Search - Weblinks
JMonitoring - Akeeba Backup
Search - Categories
Search - Contacts
Search - Content
Search - Newsfeeds
Search - p8pbb bridge
System - Sourcerer
System - NoNumber Framework
System - Modules Anywhere
System - P3P Policy
System - Logout
System - Debug
System - Log
System - Redirect
System - Remember Me
System - Highlight
System - SEF
System - Cache
User - Joomla!
User - p8pbb bridge
Xmap - p8pbb bridge Plugin
Xmap - Content Plugin
Xmap - WebLinks Plugin

I like the configuration and layout of JEvents, although if I can't get the time zone offsets for viewing working it doesn't look like JEvents will work for my site.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!
bbillings

Postby Geraint » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am

Jevents currently doesn't change the displayed event times to reflect the timezone of the site visitor but does take account of the event timezone when importing from an iCal file.

We have been experimenting with adding a timezone selector and aim to have this as a feature in the first half of 2013
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)