Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Uploading a calendar from file?

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby PlusOn3 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:15 pm

I am new to JEvents and to Joomla.

I have a peculiar problem that I am not sure how to solve. For my website, I will have a lot of entries in the calendar (likely thousands) and I would like to know if there is a way to put these events in a database (MySQL, Excel, etc?) and have them automatically uploaded to the calendar.

I see that there is a way to upload a calendar from a file but I am not sure how to work this feature. Like how the file should be formatted, what file type, and all that. Also, I would like to have different events loaded into different categories. I will be having 3 sub-categories under 1 parent category.

I don't know if I need to create different files for each category and upload them differently somehow that way.

I am really just not sure where I need to start to get this working. I browsed the forums and wasn't able to find any info that could help me really. I hope I have provided enough information for someone to be able to help me.

Thanks in Advance,
Tyler
PlusOn3

Postby carcam » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Tyler,
I know that it can be a bit overwhelming at first glance, but step by step you'll get everything done easily ;o).

First of all I think this document will help you to understand a bit better JEvents:

http://www.jevents.net/en/jevents-15-to ... uick-start

Regarding the import of your events, if you do not have them in ical format (ics extension, your calendar software will for sure create it for you), the other option is to import them in a CSV file. This document will give you some directions about the data formatting:

http://www.jevents.net/en/jevents-15-to ... csv-format

I hope that you have something to start with.

All best!!
¿Sabías que tenemos soporte en español para los miembros del Club de JEvents? ¡ÚNETE AHORA!
carcam
Team Staff

Postby PlusOn3 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:16 pm

That is fantastic! Thank you so much. I do have a couple follow up questions though.

If I wanted to have no data entered for one of the columns how would I represent that in the file.

Here is my best guess at that:
"Payroll","Release Of Paychecks",""(representing no location??),"Paycheck will be distributed on this day.","Administrator",""(representing no extra info??),"20100915T150000","20100915T191500","Eastern Standard",""(representing no RRule??)

Also, how would I enter an event that was an "All Day Event or Unspecified Time"? And how would that change the "DTStart" and "DTEnd" values for the CSV file?

Thanks again and in advance.
Tyler
PlusOn3

Postby Geraint » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:38 am

blank for location is fine

dtstart and dtend are in yyyymmddThhmmss format

bank for RRULE should work ok I think - try it and report back ;)
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby drikktran » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:23 pm

I cannot find the CSV import option anywhere! I just installed Jevents 2.1.13a on a fresh Joomla 2.5.3 system.

Is the import function hidden in some obscure place, or do I have to download a separate plugin for it???
drikktran

Postby Tonyp » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:47 pm

The import function can be found by creating a new calendar.

You can also enable front end imports from the Admin box in the JEvents Configuration section.

Regards
Tony
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby drikktran » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks! But now I get an error importing the CSV. I have copied the dummy CSV line from the http://www.jevents.net/en/jevents-15-to ... csv-format article and tried both with and without a first line as described in the article.

The error message is:
file_get_contents() failed, try fsockopen
Not a valid VCALENDAR data file: /tmp/phphm3kD3
drikktran

Postby Tonyp » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:08 pm

It sounds like a problem with your server setup.

Can you try uploading to a remote website? i.e. dropbox.

And import from url?
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby drikktran » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:26 am

Nope. I get this error: Not a valid VCALENDAR data file
Trying to upload the file from the frontend results in 0 entries imported.
drikktran

Postby Geraint » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 am

What do the first few lines of the file look like?
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Next

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)