Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Importing from google calendar  Topic is solved

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby trigerbg » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Hello

I have seen people discussing the ability to import from google calendar. That is exactly what I am trying to do but I cannot find any documentation on how. I saw a comment where someone said to create an iCal file which I have and I saw something about giving jevents a URL or creating a new calendar. I cannot find where you create a new calendar. I don't see that in the control panel. Does anyone have steps to create an import or better yet to sync

Thank you

Trigerbg
trigerbg

Postby Tonyp » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Hello Trigerbg,

This is indeed possible! the information on how to do this is available to our club members:

http://www.jevents.net/en/jevents-15-to ... -calendars

But it does require a Cron Job to be set up?

I hope that helps.
---------------------------------------
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby wnymba » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:26 pm

I know this thread is a year old, but it seems like the best place to ask.

I am ready to buy a club membership, as we are interested in syncing our jevents calendar with a google calendar. Before I buy, three questions:

• Can this still be done automatically with a cron job?
  • Can it sync in both directions?
  • Can I get to this information with a bronze club level membership?
  • Because some of the modules we use aren't updated, we are still on a Joomla 1.5 website. My jevents is 1.5.5 still (since I am a "if it's not broke don't fix it" guy). Will it work in this environment? If not, will it work on a Joomla 1.5 website if I update jevents to 2.2.8?
Thanks in advance
wnymba
Bronze Members

Postby Tonyp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello,

1. Yes
2. Yes.. you need a 'master' calendar, so for example we use google as the master, and then import googles calendar entries, overwriting previous google calendar entries.
3. Make sure you are completely up to date, at least 1.5.6 and ideally 2.2.8 but we require mootools upgrade plugin to be enabled for this.

Many thanks
Tony
Feel free to PM me if you would like Custom Installs or Joomla! related work for a competitive quote.

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby wnymba » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for teh quick response Tony. One bullet you missed: can you confirm that a bronze club level is sufficient to access http://www.jevents.net/en/jevents-15-to ... -calendars
wnymba
Bronze Members

Postby Tonyp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Hello,

I can indeed confirm this :).

Many thanks
Tony

Tonyp
Team Staff

Postby wnymba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:31 am

Thanks Tony. I've joined the club and got the documentation. Seems pretty straightforward for inputting from google.

I am interested in syncing both ways, and a search of this forum has much info on exporting to google, but that seems to mainly be focused on users creating an export so they can add it to their own google calendars. What we would like to do is export, probably through a cron job, into a google calendar set up for our organization. Then we would urge our members to add this google calendar to theirs so our events show up for them without them having to go to our website.

Seems like there is the ability for our organization's google calendar to add an external calendar "add by URL" under "interesting calendars".

So what seems to be needed is for jevents to export an ics file of a consistent name and location on our website and point google to that.

Can jevents export such a file automatically, say once a day. Note, I am on 1.5.6. I tried to update to 2.2.8 but all my calendars and events modules broke. I presume i would have to develop those from scratch so I downgraded to 1.5.6 and things worked again.
wnymba
Bronze Members

Postby Geraint » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:17 am

Create an iCal export menu item type and then use this to generate a URL that you can export into Google.

Google with then automatically request the latest version of the calendar from time to time. Its even possible to export 'private' events but if you do this don't publish the URL that the export menu item generates.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby wnymba » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:42 am

Geraint:

Thanks for the advice. It seems to work, but not with the result I had hoped. I set up the button (temporarily) to get the jevents ical URL. I then went to google calendar and added it as an "other calendar". Yes, my jevents events showed up! (although changes in one haven't yet, but I don't suppose google is checking all the time).

However, when I go to my personal google calendar and add the new google calendar that I just created as the vehicle for the jevents events, nothing shows up. I figure this is due to the fact that only the natively added google calendar events are shared. In fact I checked this by adding an event to the club google calendar and it was indeed shared onto my personal calendar.

So "other calendars" added in aren't then further shared, so I am stuck.

Of course, I can do it the manual way which is to export from jevents and then import to google. But that's only as useful as I am committed to doing that every day/hour/whatever. I.e. not useful.

This isn't google calendar support so I don't know if you'll be able to provide any further assistance but I thought I would ask.
wnymba
Bronze Members

Postby Geraint » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 am

I suspect google is not re-importing your personal calendar since the events already exist in Google else where. Each event has a unique ID (the UID field) so google may well be checking this and finding a duplicate.

Did you try importing this personal calendar directly from Google instead. You may have more luck that way
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)