Jevents 2.x (Free Access)

Unknown or bad timezone when loading ICAl-Calendar

Discuss JEvents 2.x for Joomla 1.5-2.5 here - club members can use the special club forum for faster response times.
Forum rules
When requesting support please follow these steps:

1. Update all JEvents add on's first, via the Joomla! Updater
2. Copy and Paste the JEvents Support Information from the JEvents Control Panel.
3. If you get a 500 error OR white page, enable Maximum Error Reporting in Joomla! Global Config and visit the page again, this should give you a more detailed error and help us provide a prompt response.

Postby jmarti20 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Thank you very much for such a great component.
I'm using the Version 1.5 for a long time to show ical calenders on the website.

Now I'm migrating to joomla 1.7 and I've installed JEvents V2.0.
When I try to create a new calendar (by using URL) I get the following error Messages

500 - Es ist ein Fehler aufgetreten (in english: An error occured)
DateTimeZone::__construct() [datetimezone.--construct]: Unknown or bad timezone ("Europe/Berlin")

I get the message with each other timezone too.

Thanks in advance for any helpful hint.

Regards

Joerg
jmarti20

Postby Geraint » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:11 pm

It looks suspiciously as though your server doesn't have full timezone support built in to php. See http://php.net/manual/en/datetimezone.construct.php

Not sure what to suggest since Europe/Berlin is a valid timezone.

Perhaps you should ask your webhost for their suggestions?
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby jmarti20 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Thank you for your response.
My provider confirmed, that the server has fully timezone support.
jevents 1.5.4a (b1785) is working on joomla 1.5.23 with the same calendar-url on the same server very well-

So it seems the error message described in my first message is caused by jevents 2.0 or by joomla 1.7 ??

Here's the outpu from phpinfo
date
date/time support enabled
"Olson" Timezone Database Version 2009.19
Timezone Database internal
Default timezone Europe/Berlin

Directive Local Value Master Value
date.default_latitude 31.7667 31.7667
date.default_longitude 35.2333 35.2333
date.sunrise_zenith 90.583333 90.583333
date.sunset_zenith 90.583333 90.583333
date.timezone Europe/Berlin no value

Kind regards

Joerg
jmarti20

Postby Geraint » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 am

jmarti20 wrote:Directive Local Value Master Value

this could be the problem - there is no master value for php timezone.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby jmarti20 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Directive Local Value Master Value

is the default configuration of the php installation
(See http://www.php.net/manual/de/ini.list.php .
It is also the standard configuration for all shared hosting providers. If you would be rigth, that this configuration cause the problem, yout component would not run on any shared host.
But, honestly, I don't believe that that is the reaseon.
Your component jevents 1.5.4a (b1785) is still working very well, with on the same server.
I think it should be not so hard to compare what has been changed from Version 1.5.4a to Version 2

Thank you very much in advance for your support.

Kind regards
Joerg
jmarti20

Postby Geraint » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:56 am

this is a Joomla change - check the usage of DateTimeZone in the JDate class
Geraint

Postby cywolf1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I too have the same issue. The problem occurs when loading any iCal file onto fresh joomla 1.7 install and fresh jevents 2.0.3 install (I tried 2.0 and 2.0.2 version just in case). I have tried changing php.ini file datetime param and server timezones. The problem persists regardless of server settings. It doesn't matter if I change the iCal file to different timezones. I even changed Joomla timezone setings...nothing works. I have even validated the iCal file and it passes 100%.

I too have a functioning JEvents on Joomla 1.5 importing iCal (the same file) without an issue. I have tested this on a hosted server and my home test server. Importing iCal just doesn't work anymore.

Here is my specific error
DateTimeZone::__construct() [datetimezone.--construct]: Unknown or bad timezone ("America/Chicago")
cywolf1

Postby cywolf1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:55 am

I have found a workaround. It is definitely not a good hack, but it gets me functional. I am in a single timezone, so its not a big deal. I think the issue is the $tz (TZID=) variable isn't parsed from the iCal file properly, but I can't figure out why. (Maybe quotes issue?) Hope this helps the developer determine the issue. I hard coded the Time Zone on line 566 of /components/com_jevents/libraries/iCalImport.php
Code: Select all

//$value = $this->unixTime($value, $tz);
$value = $this->unixTime($value, "America/Chicago");

It works with any timezone I pass it, so it is definitely not a Joomla or a server issue. I only get the error if the value comes from the parsed file. Thanks again for a great component. Keep up the good work. :D

Cyber///olf
cywolf1

Postby jmarti20 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Variable $tz ist an empty string at this line.
It seems, that the string parsing has a bug.
The work around is also working for me.
Thanks to cywolf
jmarti20

Postby jmarti20 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Could we expect, that this little bug will fixed in one of the next versions?

regards

Joerg
jmarti20

Next

Return to Jevents 2.x (Free Access)