JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)

Category image in Jevents latest

JEvents 2.0 was launched over 2 years ago and the latest stable version is version 2.2 which will run on Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5. JEvents 1.5 is therefore no longer actively supported - you should upgrade to JEvents 2.2+ as soon as possible.
Forum rules
Please include as much detail in any test or bug reports for JEvents 1.5 as possible.

First of all, check if you are running the latest available version of Joomla! and JEvents. Posts for issues, where both systems are not updated, will be ignored.

We need the following at least:

* PHP version (e.g. 5.2.5). Note: Support for PHP4 is discontinued.
* Joomla! version
* JEvents version
* Web Server software (Apache or IIS with version number if possible)
* Server Operating system (e.g. Linux, Windows, Solaris, Darwin ...)
* Database version
* memory_limit from your phpinfo
* Web browser and version

Please enable error reporting and include any error messages in your posting. You do this via the Joomla Configuration - set "error reporting" to "maximum" on the Server tab.

Finally, please describe the steps required to recreate the problem and also please enable error reporting and give us any error messages generated.

Postby teamlw » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:48 am

Hi all,

First, I'd like to thank you for this great component.

I've been looking around and I couldn' t find the information (maybe I didn't look very well, if this is the case, I'd like to apologize).

So what's the problem ? I'm using mod_jevents_latest in the frontpage of my website, but I'd like to make it more beautiful by adding an image depending on the category.
Let me explain with a picture :

The next event shown here is a video game clan war which will take place next sunday. As you can imagine, my website is for a video game clan and thus, we play different video games and then use different categories for jevents (one per game). My idea is then to add a small picture representing the game and put it in the black square shown on the picture.

The question is then : is it possible and if so how can I make it ?

Thanx in advance ;)
teamlw

Postby Geraint » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:29 am

Easiest solution is a template override for the module where you use the category id to set the display class for the row and then use your stylesheet to display the background image you want.

I have written a detailed explanation (with sample code) of how to customise the latest events module - this is available to club members at http://www.jevents.net/en/jevents-15-to ... tomisation (note that it does require some basic php skills).

Geraint
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby teamlw » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:23 pm

well, as I have not enough money to join the club, I'll try to do it by myself.

Thanx anyway :)

EDIT : In the end, I found a way to do it. For those interested, I call the picture in Extra Info and added ${extraInfo} in the Latest Event tab in the control panel (in Custom Format String).
teamlw

Postby weder » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi,

is this still the preferred way to implement category images?

I'd like to have a per-category icon, which I'll show in several template overrides, and I hoped I could either extend a category declaration with custom fields or install some magic module adding icons to categories. :-)

This way, I'll have to add the same condition deciding on the icon to show based on the category id in several places i.e. template overrides.

Thanks
Andreas
weder

Postby Geraint » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am

This is possible in JEvents 2.0 in Joomla 1.6

Otherwise you could give your category images names related to their catids e.g. catimage17.jpg, catimage234.jpg etc. Then use the category id in your template override to pick up the correct image.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby weder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Neat idea - using the ids in the filenames. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to JEvents 2.0. I haven't had any dealings with it yet, instead I wait until it becomes final and then do a controlled upgrade to... Joomla 1.7? Is 2.0 actually supporting 1.7 already? Isn't the new dev rhythm driving you crazy as well?
weder

Postby Geraint » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:20 am

Jevents 2.0 works in Joomla 1.7 with no problems from my testing so far.
Geraint

Return to JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)