JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)

Latest Events - display/linking errors

JEvents 2.0 was launched over 2 years ago and the latest stable version is version 2.2 which will run on Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5. JEvents 1.5 is therefore no longer actively supported - you should upgrade to JEvents 2.2+ as soon as possible.
Forum rules
Please include as much detail in any test or bug reports for JEvents 1.5 as possible.

First of all, check if you are running the latest available version of Joomla! and JEvents. Posts for issues, where both systems are not updated, will be ignored.

We need the following at least:

* PHP version (e.g. 5.2.5). Note: Support for PHP4 is discontinued.
* Joomla! version
* JEvents version
* Web Server software (Apache or IIS with version number if possible)
* Server Operating system (e.g. Linux, Windows, Solaris, Darwin ...)
* Database version
* memory_limit from your phpinfo
* Web browser and version

Please enable error reporting and include any error messages in your posting. You do this via the Joomla Configuration - set "error reporting" to "maximum" on the Server tab.

Finally, please describe the steps required to recreate the problem and also please enable error reporting and give us any error messages generated.

Postby factoid » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:09 am

Hi, Geraint:

Hope you can help:
See http://ivanhoeschool.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=63

Here's what I'm running:

- Joomla 1.5.9
- PHP 5 (not certain of build, as it's adminstered by NetSol)
- JEvents Beta [1347]
- Browsers (various)
- Confirmed that events are populated and published and Public authorized to view

Latest Events settings:
Maximum Events to Display -30
Display Mode -2
Days Before-After - 30
Only Display a Repeating Event Once No
Display Events As Link Yes
Display Year No
Disable default CSS Date Field Style No
Disable default CSS Title Field Style No
Display link to the Calendar Component Last line
Hide Title Links using Javascript No
Sort reverse No

Problems:
1) Events are showing in an all-white div. Since my template's link style is set to #FFF this means they're invisible. (Firefox 3.X/Mac, Safari 3.X/Mac, Firefox 3.X/PC, IE7)
2) "View Full Calendar" link throws a 404 page. Sometimes it clicks back to the home page. Not certain which setting is causing the variation, either.

Any suggestions?
factoid

Postby Geraint » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:51 am

factoid wrote:1) Events are showing in an all-white div. Since my template's link style is set to #FFF this means they're invisible. (Firefox 3.X/Mac, Safari 3.X/Mac, Firefox 3.X/PC, IE7)

You will need to add custom style settings to your template CSS. Use the Firebug addon in Firefox to navigate the layout and see which extra settings you need to add.
2) "View Full Calendar" link throws a 404 page. Sometimes it clicks back to the home page. Not certain which setting is causing the variation, either.

Do you have any JEvents menu items? Have you got SEF enabled if so which type? When you get the 404 page what URL is in the address bar?
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby [Daniel] » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:48 pm

* PHP version php-5.2.5-win32-installer.msi
* Joomla! version 1.5.9
* JEvents version 1.5 Beta (1351)
* Web Server software apache_2.2.8-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
* Server Operating system Windows
* Database version mysql-essential-5.0.51a-win32.msi
* memory_limit 128M

Previously I was using SVN 1314. Today I decided to update to SVN 1351 (using the ZIP's attached in the sticky on this forum.) I only use the Component, Latest Events Module, and the required Legend.

I am also getting the "404 - Component not found" error when I try click the "View Full Calendar" link in the Latest Events Module. The link in the URL bar is http://localhost:88/joomla/index.php?option=&Itemid=1... option=nothing?

Possibly "Hide Title Links using Javascript" is involved somehow... when set to YES, I get the 404.... when set to NO, I get a blank/white are with no error.

Yes I have a previously created JEvents menu item... let me play with that and report back.

[EDIT]: Ok, I first disabled my Menu Item, and retried.... same issue. I went back and looked at my Menu Item, and noticed that it was referring to index.php?option=com_events not index.php?option=com_jevents. I updated my Menu Item, and now it works, but the "View Full Calendar" link in the Latest Events Module is not.

So based on my test, it doesn't seem the existence of Menu Item affects it, as I have tried both with and without.

[EDIT 2]: I did another test... If I mouse over the "View Full Calendar" link in the Latest Events Module it shows as ... http://localhost:88/joomla/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=month.calendar&year=2009&month=03&day=05&Itemid=0# ... I can copy that into another browser window, and it works... but after I click the link is when it shows http://localhost:88/joomla/index.php?option=&Itemid=1 in the URL bar, with the 404 error... so it seems at some point, the URL is changed.

[EDIT 3]: Actually, the above was a fluke. It seems the "View Full Calendar" link in the Latest Events Module "parrots" whatever is in the URL bar at that moment in time. In Edit 2, I was already looking at the month view. But If I am at the "root"/homepage... a mouse-over shows the link as http://localhost:88/joomla/#... always a "#". And of course clicking the link results in http://localhost:88/joomla/index.php?option=&Itemid=1 being displayed in the URL bar, with the 404 error.

Anyway, hope this clearer explanation helps.
[Daniel]

Postby Geraint » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Can you try the following:

For whichever layout you are using change look in the file modules/mod_jevents_latest/tmpl/[layoutname]/latest.php and find the function displayLatestEvents()

and 3-4 lines in change
Code: Select all
$compname = $cfg->get("com_componentname");

to

$compname = JEV_COM_COMPONENT;
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby [Daniel] » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Ah ha! That seems to have fixed it!

And just to make sure... I remarked/deleted two lines and added one...
//$cfg = & JEVConfig::getInstance();
//$compname = $cfg->get("com_componentname");
$compname = JEV_COM_COMPONENT;
[Daniel]

Postby Geraint » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:46 pm

I found a few other places that use this "old" code too - so thanks for this.
Geraint

Postby [Daniel] » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:41 pm

I'm just glad to know there is going to be a "kick butt" Events component for Joomla! at the end of this rainbow.

Thanks for the component Geraint, it's coming along very nicely.
[Daniel]

Postby [Daniel] » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:58 pm

* PHP version php-5.2.5-win32-installer.msi
* Joomla! version 1.5.10
* JEvents version 1.5 RC (1417)
* Web Server software apache_2.2.8-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
* Server Operating system Windows
* Database version mysql-essential-5.0.51a-win32.msi
* memory_limit 128M

My "View Full Calendar" link in the Latest Events Module is not functioning again. What I get is white space with a URL of "http://localhost:88/joomla/index.php?Itemid=1", as symptom I've experienced before.

Today I had updated JEvents to 1417, and Latest_Events to 1409.

Prior to today, I had upgraded Joomla to 1.5.10. I cannot recall if I had specifically tried the link in J1.5.10 with the previous JEvents version. Maybe a J1.5.10 issue?

I have tried disabling the "menu item" as before (which works without issue), no change. I checked the specific layouts file (geraint) and the right code is there. I even tried toggling the "Hide Title Links using Javascript".

Tried in both IE and Firefox, no dice.

[EDIT] Just thought I'd also mention that I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Events_Latest 1409, no change.... however, if I reverted back to1378, it worked no problem. I'm going to check the code in typical hack'n'slash fashion. :lol:
Last edited by [Daniel] on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Daniel]

Postby Geraint » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 pm

IF you display errors (see pink section) do you see any error messages on the page before you click the view full calendar?

Do you have a value set in the target itemid field? If so remove it.
Geraint

Postby [Daniel] » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:29 pm

I made an edit to my post above... basically reverting back to Events_Latest 1378 showed no issue.

To answer your question, all I get is white space... no errors of any kind.

I'm not sure I understand what you meant by "Do you have a value set in the target itemid field?". If you are referring to my manually created menu item, all that is set in the Link of the menu item is index.php?option=com_jevents... no references to itemid's of any kind (set by me).

[EDIT] Post code bashing.
I took a diff of the 1409 and 1378 "lastest.php" files for the geraint template I like to use and found 3 blocks of changes... one change I reverted, and the module returned to working function.

Line 267 of the 1409 file reads as :
. $this->_htmlLinkCloaking(JRoute::_("index.php?option=$compname" .  "&Itemid=". $this->myItemid . $this->catout, true), JText::_('JEV_CLICK_TOCOMPONENT'))

Line 267 of the 1378 file reads:
. $this->_htmlLinkCloaking("index.php?option=$compname" .  "&Itemid=". $this->myItemid . $this->catout, JText::_('JEV_CLICK_TOCOMPONENT'))

I reverted this line in the deployed 1409 version, and the link is behaving so far.
[Daniel]

Next

Return to JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)