JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)

Alpha2 to Alpha3

JEvents 2.0 was launched over 2 years ago and the latest stable version is version 2.2 which will run on Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5. JEvents 1.5 is therefore no longer actively supported - you should upgrade to JEvents 2.2+ as soon as possible.
Forum rules
Please include as much detail in any test or bug reports for JEvents 1.5 as possible.

First of all, check if you are running the latest available version of Joomla! and JEvents. Posts for issues, where both systems are not updated, will be ignored.

We need the following at least:

* PHP version (e.g. 5.2.5). Note: Support for PHP4 is discontinued.
* Joomla! version
* JEvents version
* Web Server software (Apache or IIS with version number if possible)
* Server Operating system (e.g. Linux, Windows, Solaris, Darwin ...)
* Database version
* memory_limit from your phpinfo
* Web browser and version

Please enable error reporting and include any error messages in your posting. You do this via the Joomla Configuration - set "error reporting" to "maximum" on the Server tab.

Finally, please describe the steps required to recreate the problem and also please enable error reporting and give us any error messages generated.

Postby [Daniel] » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:48 pm

* PHP version php-5.2.5-win32-installer.msi
* Joomla! version 1.5.9
* JEvents version 1.5 Alpha3
* Web Server software apache_2.2.8-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
* Server Operating system Windows
* Database version mysql-essential-5.0.51a-win32.msi
* memory_limit 128M

I have been using JEvents 1.5 since Alpha1. I migrated my Alpha1 test site to Alpha2 without any real issues. I even pushed Alpha2 to our internal intranet "Live" after some php and css tweaks. As far as I was concerned, other than a couple functions still under development... it functionally met our core objectives.

I recently applied the J1.5.9 security patch to my test environment, and found that the "View Full Calendar" link on the Latest Events module failed to load the calendar view in Alpha2; hence my discovery of Alpha3 being released.

I checked my events.xml file...
Code: Select all
   <uninstall>
      <queries>
      </queries>
   </uninstall>
..woohoo, no table deletes!

So I uninstalled Alpha2 and installed Alpha3.

Early on, I had a SQL error in the "Latest Events" module until I saved the config parameters for "user access".

First thing I noticed was that the iCal, categories, and events were missing in the back end views... which was odd as the tables weren't deleted. Oh well i figured, just my test install, so I started recreating my categories and returned to the Control Panel. It was then that I noticed Convert Legacy Events in the Control Panel, and decided to click it... hey, there's all my data! Cool! And proceeded to delete the new categories I had created manually.

The only "successful" view of data I had however, was when viewing the filterless list of iCal events. None of the event data is visible in the front-end, and if I try edit an "existing"/migrated event in the back end, the event is not loaded into the "editor" page.

What I had to do was edit my jos_categories to get all data views visible (front and back). It seems the "legacy migration" created new categories, but didn't update the catid on the events it migrated, so the data was disjointed/mislinked. I deleted the newly created Category entries and adjusted the old ones in jos_categories from "com_events" to "com_jevents". I ensured my iCal was associated to one of these categories and all data views now worked (front and back). I could also open an existing event in the back and front (changed nothing tho) and save it without issue.

If I try create a new event (front or back), I get an error "104 - Problems storing Event Detail" as soon as I click "Save". It seems people have been having success saving events in Alpha3... any clue why I cannot?

Another error I will get is"500 - Invalid Controller Class - Controller" in the following ways:
  • Click the "Check Locale configuration" tool in the back end
  • Click a "category" in mod_jevents_legend to apply a filter (unless I use the "default" layout)
  • similar to above, when I click the categories listed under the monthly calendar view

I had even pulled down the latest SVN versions for:
  • Jevents Alpha3 component
  • mod_jevents_latest
  • mod_jevents_legend
I don't use the other 2 modules (yet). No change in my errors using today's SVN.
[Daniel]

Postby Geraint » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Very helpful observations - I'm just finishing brain surgery on my Linux development box (new motherboard, ram and a shiny new Amd Phenom II 940 quad core). Should be back on the case in the morning.

Geraint

p.s. I've not spent much time thinking about migration from alpha 2 - alpha 3. You may want to check the data structure (i.e. the tables meta data) against the table creation code in the admin cpanel controller. There may be some extra fields and indicies that you need.
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby andreas2212 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi
can confirm this errors.
What i did then is uninstall 1.4.a.2 and delete tabels in DB
reinstalled than 1.5.a.3
some errors gone than.
As far i can see i have 2 errors left (not completly tested all).

Error 500 in backend (see my thread)
Link to Calendar view (in Usermenu) is not working - Page load error - site is redircted too often so it can't open. Did not realy find out why this happens. Doesn't matter wich option i use in "Change Type" at the menu.

Andreas
andreas2212

Postby [Daniel] » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Geraint wrote:You may want to check the data structure (i.e. the tables meta data) against the table creation code in the admin cpanel controller. There may be some extra fields and indicies that you need.

Ah ha... there's the table creates!! sneaky :)

Ok, I had to drop the following field from #__events
ALTER TABLE `joomla`.`jos_events` DROP COLUMN `alldayevent`;
... and add the following field to #__jevents_vevdetail
ALTER TABLE `joomla`.`jos_jevents_vevdetail` ADD COLUMN color varchar(20) NOT NULL default "";

Good call! Adding events merrily front and back now.

Now I'll just exercise a little patience regarding the "500 - Invalid Controller Class - Controller" errors to get worked out of the geraint layout, and all will be well again :)

Thanks for the support Geraint!

P.S. Will #__events be dropped eventually (still in admin cpanel)? for me, the table is empty with most data being in #__jevents_vevents and #__jevents_vevdetail. I guess I could ask the same question about #__events_categories, since #__jevents_categories handles it.

P.S.S. Oh, and will also wait patiently for the category CSS coloring to return to mod_latest ;)
[Daniel]

Postby Geraint » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Good detective work on the table setups.

The idea is that we can keep 1.4.3 and 1.5 running on the same machine during testing. Once 1.5 is stable then 1.4 can be uninstalled and all the associated tables.

You may have noticed that the component uses the directory com_jevents now instead of com_events.

Geraint
JEvents Club members can get priority forum support at the Support Forum. As well as access to a variety of custom JEvents addons and benefits. Join the JEvents club today!
Geraint

Postby [Daniel] » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:01 pm

[Daniel] wrote:Now I'll just exercise a little patience regarding the "500 - Invalid Controller Class - Controller" errors to get worked out of the geraint layout, and all will be well again :)

Oh, and will also wait patiently for the category CSS coloring to return to mod_latest ;)

Just updated to SVN 1278... both of these issues are resolved for me. Nice work!
[Daniel]

Return to JEvents 1.5 (No longer actively supported)