JEvents 1.4

Navigation Images missing

Postby pashadowops » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Here's one for ya! I have installed 1.4.3 on Joomla 1.5.3 in legacy mode. All appeared to be working fine until I noticed that the images above the navigation text on the large calendar are missing. When I checked the CSS file it says that the images its looking for are cal1x.jpg - cal9x.jpg in the images folder of the root of the site however, when I look in the specified folder, these images are not present. When I right click on the image to see what it is, it comes up as transp.gif. Did I do something wrong or was the file I got corrupt and missing these images? Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

Pashadowops
pashadowops

Postby pashadowops » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:11 pm

Update:

While I was waiting for a reply I did the following;

I searched on my server and found the files specified in the CSS file under /components/com_events/images. I changed the css file to reflect where the files are currently residing, saved the changes, deleted my temp internet files folder and refreshed my browser.
Still no images over the nav text.

I then copied the files in question from that folder to the root /images folder that the CSS originally was looking at. Saved the changes, deleted temp internet files, refreshed browser.
Still no images over the nav text.

What confuses me is that when I right click over where the image is supposed to be it refers to it a transp.gif. I went the jevents.org home page and brought up the main calendar and right clicked on their image and get the same thing when I do a save as, transp.gif. So what am I missing?

Just thought I would give a little more information as I try things.
pashadowops

Postby Thomas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:13 pm

The image transp.gif is only a place holder image. This is what you get with the right click on it. The image you should see is a background image which is defined in the css file. The css file:
Code: Select all
<link href="http://yourdomain.com/components/com_events/events_css.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

references the background image as
background-image: url("images/cal5x.jpg");

which is relative to the css file location and has to be read as:
http://yourdomain.com/components/com_events/images/cal5x.jpg
Thomas
Site Admin

Postby pashadowops » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:04 am

Thank you for getting back so quickly.

Never using CS sheets ever before I simply don't understand what it is your explaining to me.

I get what the events_css.css is defining however,I lack the knowledge of the syntax in which it is supposed to be showing it to me.

Where it references the background image as;
background-image: url("images/cal5x.jpg");

am I supposed to change that line to read:
background-image: http://patroop41.org/components/com_events/images/cal5x.jpg

If so, I've tried many different variations and I can't get the image to show. I'm trying really hard to get ahold of this coding but I fear I am failing miserabley, along with my spelling :oops:

Sorry for being such a newb. Hope to hear back soon!
pashadowops

Postby Thomas » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:33 am

Modern web design is based on css and I highly recommend you should spend some time to understand this. I know it's hard and complex but start as soon as possible.
Here is a good starting point http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

There is nothing wrong with JEvents navigation images. The background image is blocked by a css setting in your template.css:
#bodyinner .blog .contentpaneopen td div, #bodyinner .contentpaneopen td div {padding: 0; border: 0; margin: 0 !important; background: none;}

The attribute 'background:none' disables background images. You can remove that. If you get undesired side effects alternatively you can force the visibility by a modified setting in events_css.css using the '!important' attribute:

div#ev_icon_yearly {
     background-image: url("images/cal5x.jpg") !important;
     background-repeat: no-repeat;
}
Thomas
Site Admin

Postby pashadowops » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 pm

WOW! that's awesome, Thanks.

I looked at the CSS of my template as you suggested but was frightened off by the multitude of lines that looked similar to the one you mention so I took the easy way out and modified the line in the event_css.css file and all my images are now showing.

I can't begin to thank you for all your help and bearing with the newb. I will seriously start learning this as I have a cub scout site that I will converting to joomla! later this summer and fully intend on using jevents for the calendar.

Thanks again for all your help. :D
pashadowops

Return to JEvents 1.4