JEvents 1.4

Newbie: Which files to download?

Postby ka5rej » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:28 am

I am a very new Joomla user and an old amateur radio operator.

I have just started learning to build the site. My site is http://ka5rej.com/

I am trying to decide which and in what order to download and upload the below files into my web page. I am using Joomla 1.5 at siteground.com.

Thanks

Mike
ka5rej

I am looking at the JEvents homepage.

(http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jevent ... se_id=6903)

Release candidate for version 1.4.3 of JEvents - works in Joomla 1.5.x in legacy mode.

com_events_1.4.3rc.zip - JEvents component(required)
mod_events_cal_1.4.3rc.zip - Mini-calendar module(optional, recommended)
mod_events_latest_1.4.3rc.zip - Latest events module(optional, recommended)
mod_events_legend_1.4.3rc.zip - Events legend module(optional)

bot_events_search_1.4.3rc_joomla1.0.x.zip - Search mambot for Joomla 1.0.x(optional)
bot_events_search_1.4.3rc_joomla1.5.zip - Search mambot for Joomla 1.5.x(optional)
ka5rej

Postby Thomas » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:36 pm

I hope you use Joomla 1.5.3.

JEvents is a component so you need the component package which is commented as required. Install this first. The remain is optional and can be installed in any order.
In the meantime a new release candidate has been released. See http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jevent ... se_id=7870
Thomas
Site Admin

Postby ka5rej » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Thanks Thomas for all your help. I downloaded the required file and the two recommended files. The JEvents Calendar is now on my front page.

I have another question. When I go into the JEvents calendar to post an event the Poll, Events, and Calendar module are superimposed on the right side over the calendar events editor page. How to I get the JEvents Editor page to come up without the superimposed items?

Thanks again for your help!!

Mike
ka5rej
ka5rej

Postby Thomas » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 pm

I suggest to hide the right column when you are in edit mode with JEvents. This can be done with a change in your template. Here is an example to hide the right column in event detail view. This example already respects the edit mode(task=edit).
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=463&p=1340&hilit=right+column#p1340
Thomas
Site Admin

Postby ka5rej » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:14 am

Thomas,

I am so new I do not know how to change the coding in the event template, though I CAN LEARN.

I understand that JEvents has a template file (index.php) that needs code changes to prevent the right modules (poll, events, calendar) from appearing on top of the JEvents editor screen.

How do I get to the JEvents template to edit it?
What do I edit it with?

Regarding your below reply:

What does the "Select All" do?

How does the coding depend upon which template that I have???

I apologize for asking such draw out questions, but the learning curve is a little steep right now. I will catch on fast!!!

Thomas, Thanks for your valuable time.

Mike
ka5rej

Did you ever get an introduction to Amateur Radio?

Re: Event Details in Full Page

Post by Thomas on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:16 pm
Your template file index.php is a php file and you need to do a little coding there. I give you an example for the beez template.

This template already determines whether to show the right column or not. At head of the file you'll find:

Code: Select all
$showRightColumn = $this->countModules('user1 or user2 or right or top');
$showRightColumn &= JRequest::getCmd('layout') != 'form';
$showRightColumn &= JRequest::getCmd('task') != 'edit'

Here you add a line to suppress the right column for JEvents in detail view:

Code: Select all
$showRightColumn = $this->countModules('user1 or user2 or right or top');
$showRightColumn &= JRequest::getCmd('layout') != 'form';
$showRightColumn &= JRequest::getCmd('task') != 'edit';
$showRightColumn &= ((JRequest::getCmd('task') != 'view_detail') || (JRequest::getCmd('option') != 'com_events'));

The coding depends on the template.
ka5rej

Postby Thomas » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:42 pm

I understand that JEvents has a template file (index.php) that needs code changes to prevent the right modules (poll, events, calendar) from appearing on top of the JEvents editor screen.

No, I'm talking about the template of your Joomla installation. You can use one of the templates shipped with Joomla, create your own or install a free available one. There is an index.php file on every template directory at <your installation>/templates/<your template>/
There is a piece of php code in where the right column is generated.
How do I get to the JEvents template to edit it?
What do I edit it with?

You can edit the index.php at the administration site with the template manager(Extension/Template Manager) or download it with ftp to your local site and use an editor of your choice.
What does the "Select All" do?
How does the coding depend upon which template that I have???

The given example works for the shipped beez template. The code in your template might be very different so try to understand the code of your template and how it works. I can't give an advice for an unknown template.

gl, 73
Thomas
Thomas
Site Admin

Return to JEvents 1.4